sobota 12. března 2011

M. J. Hyland - This is how

I check my toolkit soon as I'm back in my room, and I leave it sticking out a bit from under the bed, like I always leave it, with the handle facing out, ready for me to pick up in the morning when I go to work. I don't notice right away that the bed's been made and my things have been tidied, but soon as I realise I get a rush of good feeling. Bridget's been up here straightening and cleaning my things and it's like I've been promoted. I can't afford this life much beyond three months, but I'm going to make it good while it lasts, make it count.
I lie on the bed and smell the clean sheets, close my eyes. I'm in the mood to go down and look for Bridget and that's my plan, until the noise starts up.
Welkin's got a girl with him and the bed's drubbing the wall and they're talking while they're at it. I sit up and listen. Welkin groans loud at the end of the act, the laughs as though at a mistake somebody's made. I'm only glad it's not Bridget he's got in there.
To insult me further, a fly lands on my face. I swipe it, and it takes off, buzzes its dirty black body against the wall over my table, then comes back for another taste of my sweat. Once it's been at my face, it goes for a rest on the carpet, catches its breath, then comes after me again. When it goes back to the wall over the table, I throw my shoe and shout, 'Get out of my room, you fucking shit.'
There's more laughter in the next room and my neck reddens and my arms sweat, even my shoulders sweat. I lie down and cover my head with the quilt.
My mood's ruined.
I'll need a radio.

Mám ráda knihy jako je tahle. Je napsaná úplně jednoduše, stalo se to a to, řekl jsem tohle, ale někde vzadu v hlavě se ozývá hlásek - něco není v pořádku, tady něco nesedí. Cítíte zlověstnou atmosféru ukázky? Který detail způsobil, že se celá nálada změnila? Celá kniha je vystavěná podobným způsobem, strohý jazyk, který kontrastuje s tím, co se odehrává, odtažitý údiv mladého hrdiny nad sledem událostí.. Česky vyjde brzy pod názvem Vědět jak.

2 komentářů:

Corwex řekl(a)...

Vsadil jsem se s edičním plánem, že se ve skutečnosti bude jmenovat "Co se stalo", ale jisté není nikdy nic:-)

Ofelie řekl(a)...

Corwex: Ha, informace od zdroje! Já hledala jen na Kosmasu a nezpochybňovala jsem :-)

Okomentovat